Nations Best® Recipes
The Brown Hotel's Famous Hot Turkey Sandwich
Simple and scrumptious, this winning recipe was inspired by one from The Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky. The topping of rich gravy, Parmesan cheese and crisp bacon wonderfully complement the Nations Best® Seasoned Turkey.
- 1/3 c butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/3 c milk
- 2/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large egg yolks
- Salt & freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices white bread, toasted
- 2 lb thinly-sliced Nations Best® Seasoned Turkey Breast
- 16 strips bacon, cooked until crisp
- Prepare the gravy. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until it is golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking until smooth. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the Parmesan along with the egg yolks and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Do not boil. (If the sauce is too thick, thin it with additional milk.) Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Arrange the toast slices on 2 baking sheets. Cover evenly with the sliced turkey and gravy. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Broil the sandwiches, in 2 batches, until brown and bubbly, 1 1/2o 2 minutes. Top each portion with 2 bacon slices and serve immediately.