Nations Best® Recipes
Stuffed Cabbage with Brisket & Barley
This Eastern European standard is stuffed with a mixture of Nations Best® Corned Beef and barley for a change. The sauce hits just right the right sweet and sour notes, and is also excellent with Nations Best® Corned Beef.
- 1 medium-sized cabbage (3 pounds)
- 1 lb chopped Nations Best® Corned Beef Brisket
- 1 c cooked barley
- 1/2 golden raisins
- 1/4 chopped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Place the whole cabbage in a large pot. Add water to cover. Boil until the leaves have softened, about 15 minutes. Drain. Separate the leaves. Remove the hard outer veins. Reserve.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, barley, raisins, dill, salt, pepper and the egg.
- Place a large cabbage leaf on a work surface with the core end facing you. Top with smaller leaf over the area where the vein was removed. Place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the center. Fold the sides over the filling. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- Combine the tomato juice, vinegar and sugar. Add enough to coat the bottom of the pot. Arrange the stuffed leaves on top and cover with the remaining sauce. Add just enough water to fully cover the cabbages.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks and serve with the sauce.