Nations Best® Recipes
"Spanish Tortilla" with Pastrami, Potato & Onion
In Spanish bars and cafes, potato tortillas are popularly served cold as an appetizer or “tapas” snack. Tortillas are similar to Italian frittatas. This one also tastes great with Nations Best® Corned Beef, Turkey, Tongue or Brisket.
- 4 medium-size russet potatoes, peeled and thinly-sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly-sliced
- 6 oz sliced Nations Best® Bottom Round Pastrami, coarsely torn into 2” pieces
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c half-and-half cream
- Salt & freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 scallions, including 3 inches of green, sliced
- 1/4 c each freshly-grated Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses
- Cook the potato slices in boiling water until just tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a medium-size nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and pastrami and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened and the pastrami is slightly crisp, about 7 minutes. Move into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, cream, and salt and pepper. Stir in the scallions and cheeses, and then gently stir in the reserved potatoes, and the onion and pastrami mixture.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil in the skillet over medium heat. Pour the egg and potato mixture into the skillet. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the tortilla is golden brown and set, about 10 minutes. Carefully invert tortilla onto a plate and then slide it back into the pan. Cook, uncovered, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.