Nations Best® Recipes
Cranberry & Brown Sugar-Glazed Tongue
This dish can be served hot or cold. Its also delicious in a sandwich. After cooling, spread some of the sauce on the inside of a fresh baguette or toasted rye. Top with the sliced Tongue and lettuce. Cover with more bread.
- 1 Nations Best® Pickled Beef Tongue (3 lb, raw)
- 1 c (packed) brown sugar
- 1 c cranberry sauce (not jellied)
- 1/4 (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp whole cloves
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Parsley sprigs, for garnish
- Rinse the Tongue and place in a large heavy pot covered with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until tender (about 1 hour per pound), 2 1/2o 3 hours.
- Remove the Tongue from the cooking liquid and cool. Remove the connective tissues and skin from the Tongue. The skin should come off easily.
- Place the Tongue in another pot along with 1 cup of the cooking liquid, the brown sugar, cranberries, butter, cloves and half of the lemon slices. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To serve, place the Tongue on a dish with the sauce. Garnish with the remaining lemon slices and parsley sprigs.